Department of Physical Education
Our college pays equal attention for harmonious growth of both the body and mind of the students. The college believes in following the dictum ‘a sound mind in a sound body’. The department of Physical Education, has been making all our efforts to train the students in indoor and outdoor games.
Aim & Objectives
To train students in art of Physical Education by giving them proper training to play various indoor and outdoor games which will make them Physically fit and mentally alert.Facilities
An exclusive gymnasium cum fitness centre equipped with modern fitness meachine caters to the health conscious students and staffs.
|Equipments available in Fitness Centre
||Open Air Gymnasium
||Multi Gym Four Station
||Abdominal Conditioner (adjustable)
||AB abdominal gym
||6.00 am to 8.00 am (girls)
||4.00 pm to 6.00 pm (boys)
a. University Level:
b. Inter Collegiate Tournaments:
- College Chess team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at Hindustan College of Arts & Science, Coimbatore from 17-07-2013 to 19-07-2013.
- College Badminton(Men) team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at the NGM College, Pollachi from 22-07-2013 to 23-07-2013.
- College Basket Ball(Men) team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at the Bishop Appasamy College of Arts & Science, Coimbatore from 29-07-2013 to 1-08-2013.
- College Cricket team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at Sankara College of Science & Commerce, Coimbatore on 5-08-2013 and won Ist prize.
- College Cricket team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at SNR Sons College, Coimbatore on 26-08-2013 and won III place.
- College Kabaddi(Men) team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidhyalaya, Coimbatore from 01-08-2013 to 03-08-2013.
- College Hand ball(Men) team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidhyalaya College of Arts & Science, Periyanayakanpalayam, Coimbatore from 21-08-2013 to 23-08-2013.
- College Volleyball(Men) team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held Sankara College of Science and Commerce, Coimbatore, from 24-09-2013 to 27-09-2013.
- College Volleyball(Women) team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidhyalaya College of Arts & Science, Periyanayakanpalayam, Coimbatore from 11-10-2012 to 12-10-2012.
- College Atheletic(Men&Women) team participated in the Bharathiar University Inter Collegiate Tournament held at the Department of Physical Education, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore from 09-10-2013 to 11-10-2013.
c. Individual Awards:
- College Volley Ball(Men & Women) team participated in the Inter Collegiate Competition held at Karunya University from 24-09-2013 to 27-09-2013.
- College Basket Ball(Men) team participated in the Inter Collegiate Competition held at Karunya University on 26-09-2013.
- College Basket Ball(Men) team participated in the Chief Minister Trophy held at Nehru Stadium on 22-10-2013.
- College Hand Ball(Men) team participated in the Inter Collegiate Competition held at Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidhyalaya College of Arts & Science on 22-10-2013.
D. Fitness Club
- College Cricket player Mr.D.Ramamoorthi of II MA English has got the 'Best All Rounder' and 'Man of the Series' awards in the Coimbatore District Cricket Association held on 06th February 2013.
- College Cricket player Mr.N.Dinesh Kumar of II MIB have been selected to participate in the All India South Zone Inter University Tournament in Cricket representing the Cricket team of Bharathiar University for the year 2013-2014.
- College Kabaddi player Mr.U.Mohammad Rasool of III BBM (CA) has participated in various Kabaddi matches. He has attended and won 3 matches at Tirupur,1 match at Kallakuruchi and 1 match at Erode.
- College Kabaddi player Mr.M.Siva Bharathi of II M.Com has participated in the Kick Boxing Competition held at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Chennai from 1st to 2nd December, 2013 and won Bronze Medal.
- The Fitness Club of our college conducted a one day programme on "Exercise and Energy for Enhanced Living". A special lecture was given by Dr. R. SaravanaPrabha, Lecture in the Department of Physical Education, Avinashilingam University, Coimbatore on 31.12.10
Dr. P.K. KAVITHASHRI
Director, Department Of Physical Education
Mobile : 9994235040
NCC Girls Wing.
Commanding Officer, 5(TN) Girls Bn NCC, Coimbatore, accorded permission to raise one unit of NCC Girls Wing with strength of 104 cadets in the college from 25.06.04. Consequently, the unit was inaugurated by Col.P.P.Oka, Group Commander, NCC Group Head Quarters, Coimbatore on 08.07.04 under the leadership of the N.C.C. officer Ms. P.K.Kavitha Shri of the College.Our College has a Girls Wing NCC unit which is functioning under the guidance of NCC Officer Lt.P.K. Kavithashri. Only first year UG students can enroll as NCC cadets.
“I do hereby solemnly promise that I will serve my motherland most truly and loyally and that I will abide by the rules and the regulations of the national cadet corps. Further, under the command and control of my commanding officers will participate in every camp most sincerely and most wholeheartedly”.
Aims of N.C.C
1. To develop character, courage, comradeship, leadership, secular outlook, spirit of adventure and sportsmanship and the ideals of selfless service among the youth to make them useful citizens.
2. To create a human resource of organized, trained and motivated youth, to provide leadership in all walks of life including the armed forces and make it available for the service of nation.
3. To create suitable environment to motivate the youth to take up a career in the armed forces and make it available for the service of the nation.
DG's Four Cardinals of Discipline
1. Obey with a smile.
2. Be Punctual.
3. Work hard and without fuss.
4. Make no excuses and tell no lies.
"Unity and Discipline"
Activities of NCC Cadets
NCC Parade- Parade is held once a week from 07.30 am to 09.30 am (Breakfast is provided).
The following activities inspire and mould the cadets to be future leaders of the nation:
Annual Training Camp (ATC), Republic Day Camp (RDC), National Integration Camp (NIC), etc.
Trekking, Riding, Rock Climbing, Mountaineering, Scuba Diving, Water Skiing, Sailing, Kayaking, Canoeing, Yachting, Windsurfing, Parasailing/ Jumping, Hand Gliding, Glider and Micro- light flying.
- Two of our cadets M.Sindu of II Bsc.C.T and R.Monika of II Maths have attended Army Attachment Camp conducted at Haridwar, UP from 06-09-2010 to 18-09-2010.
- Two of our cadets Sudha.N II Maths and Treesa Shimy.V.S of II Maths CA have attended National Integration Camp conducted at Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh from 08-09-2010 to 19-09-2010.
- Two of our cadets M.Saranya and K.Saranya of II Bsc.C.T have attended Military Attachment Camp conducted at military hospital, Chennai from 02-08-2010 to 16-08-2010.
Public awareness rally
- 30 of our cadets have attended Combined Annual Training Camp held at Avinashilingam Deemed University, Vadamadurai from 26-11-2010 to 05-12-2010 in which cadets Teema Lakshmi.V and Vanathi.R of I Plant Biology have won 1st and 3rd Places respectively in Firing.
Choice based credit system (CBCS)
- 20 of our cadets attended the Cancer Awareness Drive Rally on 10-10-2010 from SNR Sons College of Arts and Science to VOC Stadium.
- We have conducted a rally to create awareness about Anti dowry from our college to urumandampalayam on 30-10-2010.
- We have conducted Tree Plantation program on 12-11-2010 at our college.
- Our cadets have conducted a rally on Road Rafety awareness along with Thudiyalur police station and Kalpana Medical Center in regards to "Road Safety Awareness Week" from our college campus to Thudiyalur Police Station on 07-01-2011.
A NCC cadet (Girl’s Wing) should have a minimum attendance of 40 hours per semester, totally, 160 hours for four semesters. Only then is she eligible for one credit point to be added towards her degree.
The National Service Scheme of the College has seven units with 700 active student volunteers working for the social, economic and educational welfare of society. The Units are functioning with resounding success under the able guidance of these NSS Programme Officers:
|Aided (4 Units)
||Self Finance (3 Units)
|Dr. M. Lekeshmanaswamy (Unit - I)
||Dr. M. Ravikumar (Unit - V)
|Dr. B. Chandrasekar (Unit - II)
||Ms. P. Suguna Rani (Unit - VI)
|Mr. K. Karuppusamy (Unit - III)
||Dr. K. Palanivel (Unit - VII)
|Dr. V. Sangeetha (Unit - IV)
CBCS (Choice Based Credit System)
- University Best NSS Volunteer Award to Mr. G.Udyakumar for the year 2001-2002
- Blood Donation Award to the College for the years 2001-2002, 2002-03 and 2003-04
- University level Best NSS College Award for the year 2002-2003
- State level Best NSS Volunteer Award to Ms.S.Supreetha for the year 2002-2003
- University level Best NSS Volunteer Award to Mr. C.Ranjitkumar for the year 2003-04
- University level Best NSS PO Award to Dr.M.Lekeshmanaswamy for the year 2006-07
- State Level Best NSS PO Award to Dr.M.Lekeshmanaswamy for the year 2008-09
NSS is included in the curriculum as a co-curricular activity. At the end of the sixth semester volunteers have to show satisfactory performance in the regular activities as well as the special camping programmes of the NSS, with 75% attendance, to add one credit point to their degrees.
The Student volunteers work for two years or 240 hours of their Undergraduate study period. Their service to the society is categorized under two dimensions: (1) Regular Activities, (2) Special Camping Programmes.
These activities have a two-way focus. One is Public Welfare Programmes and other, Public Awareness Programmes.
Public Welfare Programmes
These programmes include the following events which are helpful to the development of the people, especially those belonging to the lower strata of society.
- Remedial coaching classes for Govt. High School students.
- Grievance Day petition preparation work for public, Collectorate.
- Solid Waste Management Workshop.
- Hundial Coin collection counting at Maruthamalai Temple for the past 20 years
- River Noyyal desilting and conservation programme.
- Blood donation to poor patients in Govt. Hospital.
- 46 group houses constructed for under privileged community.
Blood donation is one of the major activities which fall under the Public Welfare Programmes of the NSS. Students are ready to donate blood at any time to save invaluable human lives. Every year they donate blood during blood donation camps and whenever there is an appeal from the public.
Anyone can approach the NSS Programme officers for blood to save the lives of poor patients by contacting any one of the following Mobile Nos: 9443486408, 7708570555, 9750033720, 8903590017, 9842093955, 9443486408, 9488443155
Public Awareness Programmes
The following programmes are conducted frequently to create awareness among the public.
(2) Special Camp Programmes
- AIDS Awareness Programme.
- Plastic Eradication Campaign.
- Parthenium Eradication and Awareness Campaign.
- World Peace Day Rally and various competitions.
- Environmental Protection Rally.
- Cancer Awareness Programmes with the assistance of Hospitals.
- Sanitation Camps in the markets, hospitals, zoos and forests.
- Handloom materials sale for the welfare of Weavers’ Societies.
- Traffic regulation activities.
- Polio drops campaign.
- Local body election work.
- Animal Census.
- Tree Plantation.
This Special Camp is conducted every year for 10 days to serve a specific village development purpose. In this connection our College National Service Scheme has adopted and is serving the following villages which are located near Coimbatore:
NSS Adopted Villages
Special Camp activities
- Rayagoundanur Adidravidar Colony
- Dhanalakshmipuram Adidravidar Colony.
A three- dimensional work done by the NSS Volunteers in the special camp sites are:
(A) Health care programmes:
(1) Blood Grouping and Blood Donation Camp, (2) General Medical Checkup, (3) Eye Checkup, (4) Veterinary Camp, (5) Disabled people help line.
(B) Awareness programmes:
(1) Sanitation Camp, (2) AIDS, Child Labour and Plastic Eradication Awareness Camp, (3) Educational Awareness Camp, (4) Computer Literacy, (4) Eye pledge.
(C) Welfare Work:
(1) Construction work for school, (2) Village Cleaning Work, (3) Whitewash for school building, (4) Creating Drinking Water facilities, (5) Road laying work, (6) Tree Planting work, (7) Socio-economic Survey, (8) Windmill Project.
Youth Red Cross
Programme Officer: Dr. M. Vigneshwaran, Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics (Aided)
The Youth Red Cross (YRC) Unit of our college was established in the year 2004 under NSS. YRC Unit is now independent and is under the YRC Zone of the University which in turn is the part of Indian Red Cross Society (IRCS), Tamil Nadu Branch.
Youth represent a substantial part of the membership of Red Cross renowned for its humanitarian commitment. Young volunteers can make a significant contribution to meeting the needs of the most vulnerable people within their local communities through Red Cross Youth programme. This has been designed to involve young people as much as possible in the movement and its activities not only as workers and also as beneficiaries.
The IRCS is functioning throughout India with "seven Fundamental principles" such as:
Youth Red Cross is based on three principles
- Voluntary service
- Protection of Health and Life.
- Service to the sick and suffering.
- Promotion of National and International friendship.
The College YRC unit focuses on the following areas:
- Blood donation to the needy people in and around Coimbatore.
- Conducting various health awareness programmes (AIDS and Diabetes) and camps (Vision Screening and Voluntary Blood Donation) for the students, staff and to the nearby village communities.
- Community service through training and education.
- Disseminating the seven fundamental principles of Red Cross and Red Crescent movement through activities that encourage the Red Cross ideals.
- The YRC unit aims to have young people recognized by social leadership as equal partners who address the needs of the most vulnerable sections of the population.
In the academic year 2011-2012 YRC conducted a special lecture on "Diabetes"
. Dr. P. Jambulingam, Consultant Physician, Professor & HOD of Medicine (Rtd.) Coimbatore Medical College delivered the Lecture. More than 200 students were participated.