DEPARTMENT OF CHEMISTRY (AIDED)
The vision of the department is to provide personal, intellectual and professional growth of the students and to produce an ideal science education with the emphasis on man making and character building education.
To produce quality and knowledgeable chemistry graduates capable of creating new developments for the society and preparing chemists of highest caliber for global standards of quality and commitment to service to the community, imbibing Indian cultural values in the minds of the students.
- The Department of Chemistry (UG) has a well – established academic track record of having produced more than 1200 chemistry graduates (36 batches). The members of faculty are all well qualified and we are having established laboratory of a very high standard.
- The department offers very useful elective subjects including (i) polymer Chemistry (ii) Nanoscience (iii) Dye Chemistry (iv) Agricultural Chemistry. We are also offering the detail study of Industrial Chemistry, Food Chemistry and Water Chemistry as skill based subjects. To make the course more job fetching and entrepreneurship promoting, we have included Textile Chemistry as Job Oriented Course.
- So far 36 batches have passed out of the department (26 under University and10 under autonomy).
- We have a well-furnished and equipped laboratory with latest equipments.
- The department is manned by 7 qualified and dedicated teaching staff members (4 Ph. D, 2 pursuing Ph. D and 1 M. Phil) and 3 suitably qualified technical staff.
- The department has 3 research guides (recognized for both Ph. D. & M. Phil).
- The department to its honor has 45 research papers published in National and International journals with high impact factor.
- After gaining autonomy status the syllabus was revised based on latest developments of science technology.
- The students are encouraged and counseled from the beginning and their mind frame is developed to take on competitive exams like UGC/CSIR-NET, GATE, SET, TNPSC and IAS etc.
- Outgoing students are always encouraged to pursue PG degree in good spirits, to fine tune that our curriculum is set in high standard.
COURSE / PROGRAMMES AND SUBJECT COMBINATIONS OFFERED
- B.Sc Chemistry Major
- Allied chemistry course to B.Sc., Physics, Botany, and Bio Chemistry
- JOC – Textile Chemistry for B.Sc. Chemistry students
The department has 3 recognized research guides who are sincerely involving innovative research.
RESEARCH IS PURSUED IN FRONTIER AREAS LIKE:
- Co-ordination Chemistry
- Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Natural Products Chemistry
- Solid State Chemistry
- Synthetic Organic and Chemistry
HIGHLIGHTS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- To make the course, more job-fetching and entrepreneurship promoting, the Department organized two days workshop on "Demonstration and Training of Home Care products". Also we have conducted National workshop on "Handmade preparation of Cosmetics"
- To get aware of green solvents, the Department organized UGC & TANSCHE sponsored two days National Conference on "Recent Trends in Green Chemistry".
- To gain theoretical knowledge lively, we have arranged a chemical industry visit. Recently, our Students visited Cochin Travancore Chemicals Limited, Kerala.
- We have well equipped laboratory consists of muffle furnace, water analyzer, gas analyzer, hot air oven, magnetic stirrer etc.
- Our students were participated in the International and National level Science Exhibitions, Quiz Competitions etc., and awarded many prizes.
- Our Students are placed in various chemical companies like Cement industry, Paint Company, Pharmaceutical industry and Water treatment plants.
After the successful completion of B.Sc., Chemistry, students having wide opportunities in various fields they include
- They are having good opportunity as a chemist in analytical and clinical laboratories, water purification plants.
- They may employ in chemical, dyeing and pharmaceutical industries.
- After the completion of PG degree, they can work in Research and Development laboratories.
- They may serve as teachers, Assistant professors in schools and colleges.
- Curriculum has been totally revised and the topics of the subject have been selected from the latest editions of standard text and reference books.
- It has been proposed to purchase latest digital instruments like potentiometer, colorimeter, analytical balance etc., to carry out the experiments.
- Eminent persons serving in the leading educational institutions and industries will be invited to deliver lecture and interact with students.
- Will introduce virtual lab in order to reduce the pollution to the environment.
- Introduction of some green chemical methods in selected experiments.
- Introduction of some topics that is highly useful to society and day today life.
- Our Alumni Dr. S. Umapathy, professor of Inorganic and Physical chemistry, IISc, Bangalore was recipient of Bhatnagar award in the year 2004 and Swarna Jayanthi award in the year 2001.
- Another Alumnus Dr. Mathiazhagan, working as senior scientist at USA.
- Another notable Alumni Dr. S. Anbu, working as Post Doctoral Fellow, Portugal University, Portugal.
- Dr. K. Sangaran, Working as Project head, Material Chemistry Division, IGCAR, Kalpakkam, Chennai.
- Dr. S. Mohan, Serving as Professor, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.