The department has been a comprehensive learning center of Chemistry giving Under Graduate, Post Graduate, M.Phil and Ph.D Research programmes. The specialty of this department lies in its very rich alumni strength.
The Department of Chemistry was established in 1975 as a government-aided undergraduate department, offering B.Sc. Chemistry.
- It has a well-established academic track record of having produced more than 1000 B.Sc Chemistry graduates. (32 batches) All the members of faculty are highly qualified and well experienced.
- The Department has three Laboratories.
The Department offers very useful elective subjects including (i) Polymer Chemistry (ii) pharmaceutical Chemistry (iii) material Chemistry and nanotechnology (iv) textile Chemistry (v) spectroscopy (vi) Retrosynthesis analysis (vii) Nanoscience (viii) Metal ions in biological system . Besides, the Department offers an interesting skill based subject on "Chemical and Microbiological Examination of packaged (mineral) water".
- One of the top 10 alumni of the Department, Dr. S. Umapathy, Professor of Inorganic & Physical Chemistry, IISc, Bangalore, was a recipient of Bhatnagar Award in the year 2004.
- Our alumni, Scientist in USA, Dr. Mathiazhagan, has instituted a scholarship in his name.
- One of our alumni, Mrs. R. Manimekalai, Assistant professor & Head i/c, Department of Chemistry (P.G), Kongunadu Arts and Science College, Coimbatore – 29 sponsoring silver medal for meritorious academic performance from alumni association.
- It is strongly felt that the Chemistry students of undergraduate classes generally lack depth in the basic concepts of the subject. To overcome this impasse, a novel scheme is offered in the proposed new syllabus.
The Postgraduate Programme was started in 1994 offering M.Sc Degree in Chemistry under the unaided stream. It was upgraded to a recognized research department in the year 2000.
- The PG students are also encouraged to pursue their course project in the research laboratory of the department.
- 4 of our members of the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching faculty are recognized research guides and are sincerely involved in initiating the students into the charms of teaching, research and extension activities in Chemistry.
- University Rank holders C. Kavitha: 1995-1997 (I Rank), T. Vandana: 1996-1998(I Rank), V. Sangeetha: 1997-1999 (II Rank), R. Sangeetha: 2001-2003 (II Rank), V. R. Sreeja: 2002-2004 (II Rank), N. Babitha: 2002-2004 (III Rank), S. Poornima: 2003-2005 (IV Rank).
- Co-ordination Chemistry
- Heterocyclic Chemistry
- Solid State Chemistry
- Synthetic Organic chemistry.
- So far, 53 candidates* completed their M.Phil and two candidate awarded Ph. D.,
- The faculty members have prepared innovative research proposals submitted to various funding agencies like DST, UGC, CSIR, and DRDO.
||Minimum FT-1, PT-2.
||Minimum FT-3, PT-4.
The Chemistry Department has 3 Laboratories 1 for UG, 1 for PG and 1 for Research, which are equipped with
- Microprocessor- based colorimeter with k factor.
- Digital visible spectrophotometer.
- UV absorption spectrometer.
- Digital top pan balance and electronic balances replacing traditional chemical balances.
- Refractometer AR22 – ABBE.
- Digital potentiometer EQ – 601.
- Latest RO water treatment Unit.
- Reaction specific microwave/ reactor oven